An adverb of affirmation is an adverb that is used in a sentence to affirm it as true. An adverb of affirmation is also used to answer a Yes-No question raised by others.
Examples: really, certainly, absolutely, positively, definitely, truly, undoubtedly, yes
- She positively identified her attacker.
- You are really a genius!
- Yes, they are coming.
- It was truly an awesome experience.
- He is undoubtedly the best swimmer in the team.
An adverb of negation is a grammatical construction that contradicts all or part of the meaning of a sentence.
Examples: no, not, never, nothing
- He is not here.
- I was never alone in my battles.
- No, they are not coming.
- There is nothing special about him.
- Eating is not allowed inside the computer laboratory,